Monday, August 18, 2008

sometimes i wonder if i'll ever learn...

I went to Walgreens (a drugstore, for my Canadian friends) a few nights ago. It was late but school was starting the next day and I needed to pick up a few last minute things for the kids. I was whining to the lady at the checkout about how much school stuff cost and complaining that I still had two more kids to buy suppplies for when they get their lists. I walked out to the car where a woman (um, let's call her Wendy) was sitting next to me in her van.

I smiled at her which apparently opened a door for her to ask me for money. Wendy told me that she'd just tried to cash a cheque at a 'check-into-cash' place but for whatever reason, wasn't able to get her money. Her van was now running below 'E" and she didn't have any money to put gas in it and wasn't sure how she'd get home...could I please lend her $5.00. She assured me that she'd send the money back to me after she was able to cash her cheque.

My first question was, "Do you have a friend you can call?" Nice, eh? Wendy said she'd called, her friend lived nearby and was on his way but hadn't made an appearance yet.

I followed that information up with, "I'm so sorry, Wendy, but I don't have any money." I totally lied. However, in my defense (sort of) ,the first rule in street ministry is not to give out money so I was only trying to be safe, you know, following the rules...

As we chatted for a few more minutes I glanced at her van which was missing a rear side window. In the dark I saw two children, probably 5 and 3 years old. It was after 9:30 pm and I was pretty sure the little guy had school the next day. I was really feeling uncomfortable now. So I got in my car.

I fumbled around for a few mintes, debating about what I should do. Then I opened my purse, took out the $10 bill I had, walked over and gave it to Wendy. The little boy and I talked about kindergarten, and I laughed with his little sister about Dora the Explorer and Wendy told me that she was pregnant with her third baby. I excused myself to head home to my own children (really wanting to get home and hug them all) and we said our goodbyes. I was tempted to hide out and see if she actually put gas in her van but I decided it was really none of my business.

Going to bed later that night I told God how sorry I was for being so hesitant to give Wendy the money she needed. Maybe there are a lot of reasons why I shouldn't have given her the money but the best reason to give it to her was because she needed it and I happened to have it. I probably have more resources than she has and I know for sure that my Abba will provide for me...maybe I was His way of providing for her.

It's not a pretty story but I'm still a work in progress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eness,

Just wanted you to know that I'm with you on the school supplies thing...and fearing that God will forget to supply my needs if I give away that $5. Thanks for your honest y. I need to be reminded that He will not forget/forsake me especially when I choose to serve others.
Lynn