Friday, November 21, 2008

Elijah and me...

So I've had a rough week. Not much sleep, working, worrying (I know, I shouldn't) adds up to a lot of stress and an inability to deal with it very well.

Last night didn't help much. alyssa went to see a movie premier at midnight last night and I waited for her to come - close to 3:00am - not good for the sleep deprived. I drove Aidan to school at 7:00 and actually went in with him so that we could collect all the missing assignments he can still complete and hand it; then back home to take Alyssa to school at 8:30, laundry, tea and the couch.

I started reading Isaiah out loud, something I'm not sure I've done before. I kept reading and reading and praying/journalling and writing down verses. I felt like God was speaking to me. And then sleep. Two hours of good sleep.

I got up, ate a little soup and was getting ready for the next errand when the phone rang.
Ever get those unexpected calls that have the potential of knocking you completely off balance?

Yep, that was today.

And you know, if it had come a few hours earlier I might have fallen over.

Reminds of Elijah.
He fought a huge battle against Jezebel's god, Baal. And God won it for him. But Elijah was whipped. He found a broom tree, laid down and told God he wished he were dead. Then he fell asleep. After a while, an angel came and woke him up and gave him something to eat. Elijah quickly fell asleep again. More time passes and the angel wakes him up with food once again; Elijah eats and then takes a long journey out to the desert to meet God. And God speaks to him in that still small voice. Elijah is still fearful but stronger. God hears his cries, listens to his pain and then provides for him with the help, support that he needs. And Elijah doesn't die, he goes on to face the next day.

My Father spoke to me, comforted me in my sleep and gave me the strength I needed to face the rest of the day. He surrounded me with friends who prayed and were the help, support that I needed to meet the next challenge. And I didn't die. I am ok. I'm more than ok, I'm stronger. And with the kind of strength that is real, that makes a difference - the strength that comes from my Father, who loves me, who wants me to be strong.

It is good to know that kind of love.

Looking forward to talking to Elijah one day, too. You know, compare notes.

1 comment:

Tyson Aschliman said...

Glad to know you're "okay". Glad to know you're stronger. Praise God for His love and provision!