Monday, September 8, 2008

Twenty Piece Shuffle

I am s-l-o-w-l-y working my way through this book - it's so full of the truth I need to hear these days.

I just read the story of Max - I won't tell you all about it, you need to get the book and read it. But for the sake of you knowing what I'm talking about, Max is Greg's friend who lives in downtown Toronto and who is journeying/wandering (again, read the book to understand this reference!) with Jesus. During a conversation with him Greg told Max how impressed he was by the "grittiness of his faith" to which Max responded, “…if I don’t give each day to God before I get out of bed in the morning, I’ll die.” For some people. knowing that he's sometimes homeless, sometimes sells/uses drugs, etc..., all that makes sense. And I know that I have even said that very same thing. But lately I really mean it - like I think Max means it.

Max and I are probably as different as two people can be – from outward appearances – but inside we are the same. I feel like I’m in the same cycle of peace, growth and hope; then subtly despair, doubt, self-condemnation seep in and I can’t escape from the fog. And I want to believe that there is hope, redemption, forgiveness… it is so hard! And hard to wait for the presence of God to overwhelm me again.

It's wierd where we find community, which is the key to survival, to seeing/hearing God. I am so thankful for my family and friends who pray for me and love me and call me back to the place of hope.

And I'm so thankful for Max. I've never met him but I hope I get to meet my new friend, my brother, some day.

2 comments:

S said...

I'm discovering more and more as I get older the importance of having a community, people that you can go to when you need a lift. I think you are amazing. Love you lots Eness,Sue

Carroll Duncan said...

Isn't it wonderful when God shows up in unexpected people and places and at the same time stands by so faithfully in good friends and family!

I have not read Greg's book but am possibly going to the launch this Fri

love Carroll